Paypal

Monday, July 26, 2010

Monday July 26th, 2010 - Virus

Since my wacko virus attack on the 9th, I've avoided the gym. Not only was my chronic coughing annoying to me, it would have freaked out the other gym members. Particularly in the last year the recreation center has asked the members to wipe down their equipment and wash your hands frequently. Nonetheless, I'm sure I picked up the virus from there. 


On Saturday we had another BBQ and I felt fine, so yesterday I went to the gym and did a full heavy circuit set and shot hoops for exactly 30 minutes. I need to quickly build up my muscles and tolerance for heat so I don't hinder our exploratory hikes while on vacation in Yellowstone National Park. Our vacation begins on August 8th and we return on August 12th or 13th. My oldest son is not going with us so watch out for impromptu parties at our house. Just kidding. We share a house with my wife's aunt. There will be no parties. Bummer.


I have been through most of the United States, Canada, the Caribbean, and Europe, but I've never been to Yellowstone Park. We will be hiking and fishing beyond our hearts delight. I am actually more excited about this trip than my trip to the south of France. Nothing against France. I love France and the rest of Europe, but ever since I was a kid I wanted to go to Yellowstone. Or as Yogi calls it "Jellystone."


Vacations like this are win win win win. First, it's great to get out town and spend time with your family. It's psychologically sound. Second, you get to exercise in one of the most beautiful places on the planet. I suppose it could be a challenge as far as "vacation"  food cravings go, but I've got a good grip on my vegetarian diet. As long as I pay attention to the rules I can't do too much damage.    


In a few minutes I will go pick my son up from a pre-high school seminar and go shoot some more hoops in the blazing sun. I really do need to get used to the heat and I could use a bit of a tan to assist my sun/insect protection. My pre-vacation plan is to workout with weights every other day and play basket ball or hike or something with cardiovascular exertion everyday. I was in bad health and out of shape in the years leading up to my chronic lymphocytic leukemia diagnosis. I didn't enjoy our European and Disney adventures as much as I should have. This time health and stamina will not be a factor.

No comments:

Post a Comment