Paypal

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Thursday July 8th, 2010 - Rylan

Boy, what a week of BBQ's. Two more this weekend, but I've started my vegetarian diet which is much easier than vegan. Particularly the seafood choice. Of course, now I have to recalibrate my internal calorie counter. I don't think ice cream with hot fudge whipped cream with a cherry on top should be allowed. Yup. Definitely, need to exclude the cherry. I jest.

Other than adapting to the new vegetarian diet, I've been babysitting my cousin's nine month old little girl this week. Rylan and I have had a love affair ever since she was born. I guess she's my practice grand-daughter. Nonetheless, we giggle, eat, sleep, and poop. It's a great relationship. It's been a great week, but my only real exercising has been walking Rylan and "uppy."

I also have not made any creditable progress on my book. I thought I would be able to write while Rylan slept, but, to be honest, I'm tired. Rylan and I have tons of fun, but she wears me out. I've been able to keep up with my estate work and FaceBook. LOL. I kind of hate the euphemism "LOL," but what can you do WCYD? BTW I'm in the early stages of collaborating with Spain to build a solo "traveling" retrospective of my father's film and artwork. The work and logistics involved will be extensive. I'm sure all the forthcoming work will be worth it.

While I write and re-write portions of my book constantly, I do like hearing from you so thank you and here's a paragraph from the chapter where Nic has just found his seat on his flight from Denver to Chicago...


As I was looking over the emergency exit plan a large older woman sat next to me. We exchanged smiles and I went back to the emergency card. After we took off she asked, “So, what is your name?”
Oh God. A talker. I answered, “Nic.”
“My name is Grace. Glad to meet you.” She thrust out her hand and I reluctantly shook her hand.
“Who is waiting for you in Chicago?” She asked.
“I’m not going to Chicago. I’m connecting to New York City then to Rome.”
“Rome, Italy?!!!”
I answered, “Yes.”
“By yourself?!!!”
“Yes. I do it all the time. Well, mostly to New York City, but I can take care of myself.”
“You’re a very brave boy!” Boy? Who the hell is she calling “boy?” She asked.
“Yup. Going to see my dad.”
“Does he live in Rome?”
“Yes.” I hoped that would shut her up.
“I’m going to see my first grandson in Springfield, Illinois!” Oh God. Please don’t have pictures.
“Do you want to see his pictures?”
No no no! “Sure.” Damn.
She showed me about 30 photos of the ugliest baby I ever saw. His smile looked more like a dire need to fart. His straight face looked like he had a diaper full of shit. She had pictures of the baby taking a bath in the sink. Man, is he fat. I smiled and nodded politely. I smiled and told her thank you. She took the pictures back and thumbed through them one more with a smile from ear to ear. Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder. She genuinely couldn’t wait to see this cabbage patch reject. For a few minutes she was lost in baby bliss.
Unfortunately she regained her composer and asked “What does your dad do?”
I lied, “He a propulsion engineer for Ferrari.”
Remarkably, she asked, “Ferrari?”
You’re kidding. “The sports car builder.”
Her eyes lit up and she said, “Like Magnum P.I.!”
“Yes. Magnum P.I.”
She looked forward as if in a blissful trance. Finally she said, “Tom Selleck.”
As she landed back into reality she said, “How exciting! Do you think your dad knows Tom Selleck?”
Oh seriously. “No.”
She said, “Too bad. So how long will you be visiting your dad?”
“Oh, I’m moving there.” I lied again.
“Oh my, how exciting.” She continued, “Where’s your mom?”
“She’s dead.”
“Oh, I’m so sorry.” Finally she shut up.

No comments:

Post a Comment