Paypal

Monday, September 30, 2013

CPAP

I have been using a CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) devise when I sleep since about 2001 or 2002. I wear a clear mask that blows a steady stream of air over my nose. I only breathe through my nose when sleeping. I guess that's a trained ability. Besides, if you breathe through your mouth it makes a silly sound and it's nearly impossible to keep the stream through your mouth. I have seen first hand a mask that covers both your mouth and nose, but I don't have the slightest idea how that helps.

I know that the stream of air keeps you nose passage open and helps you not snore. Its used for a condition or effect called sleep apnea which simply means your not getting enough oxygen when your sleeping. It's primarily used by obese people, but I used to snore when I was thin too, so I think anyone could benefit from using one. I started using mine after an all night sleep study at a local hospital.

An oxygen tube can be connected to the devise, but I just use regular air. A better explanation of the whole deal can be found at  http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/cpap/

Anyway, my point is that I always sleep with my mask. I take naps with it and I travel with it UNLESS I fall asleep on the couch watching television. I'm the type of person that has to be moving all the time. If you slow me down and make me sit, outside of driving or in class, I fall asleep. I fall asleep at the movies all the time unless I have some cold tea or a water bottle to sip on.

I just fell asleep on the couch watching World War Z. It's not the movie. I love the movie, but the couch is super comfortable and I was watching the movie for the second time. I watched it last night On Demand (pay per view). It was worth watching again. The rental lasts two days. Anyway, I woke up with the worst frick'n headache.

Last January when I was in the hospital they recorded my oxygen at a level in the 90's when I used the CPAP, but in the low 80's when I went without which I guess can be dangerous to your overall health.

So now I have a headache and I'll have to take some acetaminophen. With my bad liver I am allowed to take acetaminophen every once in a while, but only two tablets twice a day if I have too. I know two tablets will take care of this stupid headache today. AND, then I'll finish watching the movie... without falling asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment