Paypal

Friday, August 6, 2010

Friday August 5th 2010 - Vacation

My wife is officially on vacation which by default places me on vacation. On Sunday most of the family will drive up to Montana and explore Yellowstone National Park for a week. I've been to 19 countries, but never Yellowstone which is literally a days drive from the home that I grew up in. I'm excited and eagerly preparing for the trip. I've asked my friends for tour advice and I think I would have to live there for a year to get to all of the suggestions. Nonetheless, I will purchase an actual book and try to tie these suggestions into a reasonable trip. Of course there are a large multitude of website guides, but I am frankly on Yellowstone online information overload.

This week has been a continuation of fitness training for the vacation. If there is a 10 mile day hike worth taking I do not want to be the party pooper. I had a great workout on Tuesday and a punishing workout today. I max pressed my circuit training and played basketball with a 19 year old man for 45 minutes. I can hardly move. That's an exaggeration, but I am sore tonight. I do not plan on working out any more before we leave on vacation for several reasons. First, I have a horrible history of injury. Don't want to get hurt before the trip. Second, I want my body to be fresh for the pending adventures. Third, I have a blister on the top of my foot from Saturday's intense hike. It's almost healed. I'll use some mole skin on my sensitive places in my footwear.

My eating has been fair to good, but I seem to be losing weight. I know my exercise regiment has increased, but as we know exercise is not a great fat burner. The simple recipe is always the same. Eat less calories than you burn and you will lose weight. No matter how people like to market their "miracle" weight loss plans, it really comes down to burning more fat than you consume. Either they squelch your appetite (to consume less calories) or burn calories (again reducing calories). The problem is more subtle than people think. Fat people are not eating ridiculous hoards of hot dogs or mammoth pizza's; they are eating 10% more than they should. It's that extra serving of potatoes or just one little extra piece of pizza. It's the 10% rule.

People need to watch skinny people. Yes, they eat the same food, but they eat everything on their plates and stop. It's the slightly larger bowl of granola in the morning; its the large fry at lunch; it's the snacks between. It doesn't matter if it's crap or health food. Too many calories equal weight gain.

Losing weight is a hard battle. I think it's one of the greatest addictions known to man. You can look at a meth head or a drunk and know their "issue" and you can send them to rehab and maybe you could try to send fat people to fat camps, but weight loss begins in the head not in the gym. Of course, as I always say, weight loss is everything; calories, sleep, mental health, physical health, exercise, and did I mention calories? I think I should try hypnosis as an experiment for this blog. Maybe the answer lies in dancing like a chicken in your underwear. Who am I to judge?  

1 comment:

  1. I just passed through another article after I read your article about the hypnotic state(something like that). The article on the other site says that, dancing is a good weight loss tool for those who suffered from overweight. Phoenix bariatric surgeons had a study about this and it shows that it helps losing weight much faster than ordinary jogging or walking and it improves stamina at the same time.

    ReplyDelete