Paypal

Monday, August 29, 2011

Wonderful weekend of mountain hiking

The easy part
Since my last post on Thursday, I skipped the gym on Friday because I only slept a few hours on Thursday night. On Friday night I decided to take 200 mg of Seroquel as prescribed. I had backed it down by half, but I think that's why I wasn't sleeping. My problem with Seroquel is that it gives me restless wrists and legs, but it didn't on Friday. I woke up this morning at 4am to go to the restroom and I couldn't get back to sleep because my wrist had the restless thing. Maybe I'll be able to take a nap in the afternoon. Sleep is incredibly important for both bipolar disorder and weight loss. Your body does a lot of fat conversion while you sleep.

In addition to sleep, proper nutrition is critical. I have not missed a single meal or any days without vitamins and supplements. And, I have continued to push myself physically. On Saturday, my wife and I went up to Elk Meadow, Colorado again and hiked for 2 miles. I would say that trail is moderate. On Sunday, we got ambitious and went up to Mount Falcon and took the most extreme trail I think I could do even if I was skinny. Mount Falcon is breath taking, but this trail is breathtakingly beautiful. This particular trail starts at the top of the mountain where the parking lot is located and then plunges down a relatively steep and rough trail for about 3/4 of a mile. I think it is a descent of 500 feet or more. What goes down must come up. Hiking up on this trail is difficult. This hike was 3.2 miles and would easily classify as an intermediate to expert difficulty. It was 95 degrees and the sun was brutal when we passed through open spaces, but I drank massive quantities of water before, during, and after. So 5 miles of hiking for the weekend.

This morning I weighed in at 367.6 which is a total weight loss of 42.4 pounds since my surgery on August 3rd. When I said I would lose 43 pounds by the end of the month even I didn't believe I would actually lose that much, but we still have two days and I think I will probably hit the 45 pound mark. 

No comments:

Post a Comment