Paypal

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Tuesday June 7th, 2011 - Cousin Vicki's card; finances; and book idea

First, an update on the finances of the bariatric surgery (Realize Band). I don't have all the answers yet, but some of my questions have kind of sort of been addressed. According to the hospital, my insurance has a contracted rate for the hospital fee of either $9,000USD for BMI's of 45 or less and $11,000 for BMI's above 45. She thought I might qualify for the lesser amount, but I seriously doubt a BMI of 59 is "borderline."

My insurance is Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield and it specifically has a $7,500 weight loss benefit. So, the hospital gets $4,500 and the surgeon gets $3,000.

Lets just deal with the hospital for a moment since I know this variable. Assuming that the hospital's contracted rate with Anthem is $11,000, less the insurance benefit of $4,500, then I need to have $6,500 just for the hospital.

I do know that I can pay the anesthesiologist $1,080 in advance and save more than $800. There is someone else that I can pay $280 in advance and save another $600. So, as far as I know I need $1,360 for these other services. The surgeon gets $3,000 from the insurance, but I have no idea what that will cover. It has to include his services and the post surgery appointments so I doubt that $3,000 will cut it. For now let's assume I need $7,860 out of pocket. Due to family financial surprises I will probably only have $6,000 plus $2,000 if I used my credit cards. I'm thinking it would be safe to assume that I will need a medical loan of $5,000 so I can be prepared for any other surprises.

I'll know more by the end of the week. I do know that the surgeon's office is submitting my file to the insurance on Wednesday. I have no idea why it took that long, but at least its in. I don't know how long it takes for insurance approval and then I do not know how far out their surgery schedule is. I'm still hoping for August. I won't need the money until the week before my surgery date. Okay, that's the finances.

Quick note on my book idea: I will be finished with my current fiction novel by this August (see www.NightinPositano.com). I think I am going to write my next book more autobiographical and basically make a book that follows the same trek as I have recorded here since June 2009.

Finally, the card from my cousin Vicky regarding my liver cirrhosis:

"They say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Well, what if you didn't sign up for extra-strength training? What if you'd rather catch a break once in awhile? 
At some point you'd think you'd be entitled to a free pass or two. Avoid that crisis. Delete those problems. 
It's not that you're not strong or that you don't have what it takes to get through this. You are, you do, and you will. But you've built enough character already, and it's time for things to lighten up a little!
I know it's not my call, but if I were in charge of life's wheel of fortune, you'd get a free spin. And I'll be right there cheering you on!" (written by Linda Barnes).

No comments:

Post a Comment