Paypal

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Wednesday June 1st, 2011 - An email to friends and family

Hello Family and friends,

Last week I received the results from my liver biopsy to check on the progress of my nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (Nash). I have stage four grade one liver cirrhosis. Stage four is the highest measure of liver scarring and beyond repair; however, grade one is the second level of inflammation which is good news. 

In general, I feel okay today except the grade one inflammation and subsequent blood flow disruption is just bad enough to cause mild to severe pain in my enlarged spleen and I have chronic swelling of the abdomen and legs. It may also be the cause of my chronically low platelet count. For these I am medicated. I am a bit fatigued and I don't always feel so good, but nothing major. I have to continue seeing my oncologist because my leukemia has not been excluded and the liver disease dramatically increases my cancer risk.


My mission is to stay at grade one as long as possible. In order to do this I must have bariatric surgery (Realize Band). I was already running down the lap-band path so I am just waiting for the final financial requirements and a date for surgery. Hopefully, I will have the surgery this summer. The extreme change in diet that is required for the lap-band surgery pretty much mirrors the requirements of the liver diet. And, of course, I need to continue exercising, but I can't put myself in danger of an abdominal injury. Obviously, I can't ever even take a sip of alcohol which really isn't such a big deal for me. Work isn't a big deal since I am writing from home full time now.

Cheri and I are focusing on the bariatric surgery right now so I can become a better candidate for a transplant when the time comes. In no way am I giving up or flipping out. It's not good news, but it's not the worst news and I can survive this.  

Thanks for your support,
Christopher 

No comments:

Post a Comment