Paypal

Monday, July 18, 2011

July 18th 2011 - Caffeine and alcohol

So you're not supposed to drink caffeine after bariatric surgery because it's not a good source of hydration. Actually, coffee dehydrates you. You are supposed to drink one glass of water for every cup of coffee. People should drink by the 8x8 rule. 8 glasses of 8 ounces of water.

After my Realize Band surgery, my surgeon wants me to stop drinking liquids 15 minutes before a meal with no drinking during the meal and on out to 45 minutes after the meal. And you can only sip on water because of the reduced stomach path. It is a bit of a challenge to drink 64 ounces of water, let alone the replacement volume from a cup of coffee.

I love espresso. I love coffee, but I only drink one or two cups of coffee per day. Plus, I drink maybe 50 ounces of light iced tea a day. I love tea. So I tried to back off like I did about a month and a half ago and I got a massive headache that went away as soon as I had a cup of coffee.

I'm trying to wean myself now, but it isn't easy. I don't think people realize how addictive caffeine is.

Of course, my surgeon also recommends no alcohol for the same reasons plus the empty calories. That, of course, is not an issue for me and my broken liver. The last real drinking I did was March 19 before I found out about my liver. I've never been even close to an alcoholic, but I do enjoy craft beers and wine and the occasional martini. I've now been totally dry for two and a half months. I kind of miss the flavor, but not the alcohol.

No comments:

Post a Comment