Paypal

Monday, February 8, 2010

Monday February 8th, 2010 - Ankylosing Spondylitis

Sunday was not fun, then okay, and finally fun. Apparently the tort for dead dad birthday didn't work. I still fell into an abyss of self loathing. Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration, but I was feeling sorry for myself. So I went to the gym and rode the bike and did a full set of weights. I felt better. Then we went to watch the Superbowl with my brother and it was fun watching the Saints finally get there and own it. Party in the quarter!

Today, I went in for my B-12 shot and then to my new chiropractor to find out my prognosis from the exam last week. In the past, I've had trouble with Plantar fasciitis on the bottom of my feet which is apparently aggravated by bone spurs so I wear custom orthopedic inserts (orthotics) to alleviate the pain. And every time I have my hand X-rayed they tell me that I have arthritis. Today, the chiropractor showed me my spinal x-rays which clearly showed some kind of bone spurs all along my vertebrae. Eventually, these may lead to arthritic pain to spinal fusion. It's called Ankylosing Spondylitis. I have to go to my primary care physician to get some blood tests to confirm, but it looked pretty clear to me. Sounds like getting old is going to be painful. However, aside from anti-inflammatory drugs (which I don't like), exercise seems to be part of every treatment I've found. I don't have pain now, so I'm just going to keep exercising with a new purpose. No pain, no gain or I'll have more pain. That's kind of funny.

After delivering potentially bad news, my Chiropractor adjusted my back. First time ever. I liked the part where he made everything relax with his hands and some kind of thumper. When he moved my head around I had forgotten that this was the point where he cracked my neck back and everything. One twist this way and one twist that way and repeat...I think. I felt good, but he said I may be sore as if I had been to the gym. As I was preparing to go to the gym I got sore and decided that tomorrow would be a much better day for exercise.

Well, I don't really have any arthritic pain so I'll keep exercising. Actually, it sounds as if I will never be able to slack off on the gym. Now my health and potential crippling pain makes it a life long necessity. Good.

No comments:

Post a Comment