Paypal

Friday, December 25, 2009

Friday December 25th, 2009 - Odd Christmas

A quick recap... I knew the gym would be closed for Christmas Eve and Christmas so I made a point of getting there on Wednesday. Of course, Wednesday was full of last minute shopping and meal planning. Once I had everything settled at home I went to the gym. I was there from about 4-4:15 and stayed until they closed at 6pm. Not my best workout, but that was because I eat some beans and rice before I went to the gym. Much like long bike rides, my best workouts happen when I just have a protein shake and skip food until later. Nonetheless, it was refreshing.

Christmas Eve was the Longworth family gathering. We are close to the Longworth's so it was relaxed and fun. Rylan is my cousin's, well my wife's cousin, baby. Bobby isn't married to Rylan's mother, but we treat her as we should; a member of our family. I like her, but it was one of those unplanned things. Rylan is the best thing that could have happened for them. My aunt, the new grandma, is in 7th heaven. It was her husband who died of cancer last year. I love little Rylan and I'm very happy when my wife and I get to babysit her. She's only 8 weeks old, but she already shows her character. I think she is going to be smart, beautiful, joyful, and thoughtful. I also think she is going to be a red head when her hair finally comes in and a ball of fire. It's going to be a fun ride for us. It's like test driving a grandchild for us. We love her, we play with her, and we can give her back when we're tired.

Christmas day at my mom and step-dad's place was different. I have some unresolved issues with my step dad, particularly, the treatment of my oldest son who had the misfortune of having to live with him for about nine months. While I am sorting through my baggage, I've kept a low profile with my family. I don't want to create new problems before I have a chance to confront old ones. All differences aside, we went to my mom's house for Christmas brunch. I haven't discussed my issues with my siblings so they don't know what to think. It's between my step dad and I so I don't think it's any of their business. You see this all the time in the media. An event or events happen and those involved refuse statements and then people just fill in the blanks themselves. I think my siblings have filled in the gaps with misinformation. Needless to say, our brunch was uncomfortable and strange. The only reason I went is because my mom asked me to. We went; we visited; we left before anyone could bring up the subject of my "issues".

Fat people know. We know that stress leads to comfort food which, invariably, means overeating or just eating the wrong food or both. It's important to deal with your emotional problems before they become a vehicle of defeat. I'm trying, but it may take me another month or two. In the mean time, I need to follow routine and watch my calories and exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment