Paypal

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Wednesday December 30th, 2009 - Lentil Soup

Today,I didn't eat much until dinner, but that wasn't the plan. Your supposed to keep your body nourished. Losing weight through starvation is the way I got so fat. It wreaks havoc on your metabolism. Your body goes into defense mode and collects calories from everything you eat. Today's diet was not intentional. I ate a banana and a soy protein drink for breakfast. It would have been better to have even a half cup of granola, but I was rushing out the door to the museum. I was supposed to get out at 2pm today, but I got slammed with visitors in the workshop, so I didn't get lunch. I had 89 people come through and none of them were with a school groups. Just one small group at a time. Over half of them made a post card. That's a project we have going that mirrors one of our current exhibits. I encourage people to go completely out of the box. Probably less than 10% could ever go through the mail. Today was busy, but very fun. The end to this story is that I didn't get home until 5:30. When I got home I drank another soy drink and banana and started to cook.

Well, I cooked the best vegan lentil soup in the history of mankind. Really, it was very good. Everyone loved it; not just me. My wife said it was possibly the best soup she has ever had and she eats soup all the time in the winter. And guess what? It was 100% vegan. No animals died or got milked to make this creamy, yes creamy, delicious soup. No fat, no cholesterol, and 35 grams of protein in every cup! I took some "suggestions" from a few non-vegan recipes and made it my own. I'm not really the measuring type of cook, but here it is...

4 cups of dry lentils
8 cups of vegetable broth
4 cups chopped tomatoes
1 cup of "vegan" margarine (reg. Margarine actually has some dairy)
2 cups of soy milk (Silk is the best)
3 tablespoons of fresh chopped ginger root
2 teaspoons turmeric
2 teaspoons of Cumin
1 thinly sliced yellow onion
2 tablespoons of sea salt
2 tablespoons of ground black pepper

First, sort through your lentils to check for rocks, then wash, then bring them to a boil with pretty much everything. Let it simmer for 45 minutes or until the lentils are chewy, but not mushy. Then again, I read one recipe where they pureed the whole thing, but I prefer the texture my way. Serve with warm corn bread or crackers and enjoy. This recipe makes about 12 - 1 1/2 cup servings. This was really good. You need to try this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment